Sunday, May 17, 2009

AM I PRO-LIFE OR PRO-CHOICE?

Are you pro-life or pro-choice? That is one question that most of my politically minded friends and students enjoy to ask me. Honestly, they have been trying to bring me to that table of discussion for years, and it does seem like they are not ready to back down until I respond. They simply will not give up. No wonder I love them so much. Well, now that I bring it up, I am sure you want to ask me the same question. Fine, keep reading because I finally have an answer. Or maybe not. Should I try to be politically correct or just be honest? Well, nowadays, it seems like people do not really care about honesty anymore. No wonder, politicians always wait for the polls to come out before answering, or addressing certain non-popular or too popular issues.

It is so interesting listening and reading from highly educated and highly respected people making a big deal out of something so simple. With all due respect, I would ask whether their case is really about abortion, hypocrisy, or simply because they have problems living with the difference. I am not pro-choice. I am not pro-life. I am pro-human. Now, where does that put me? I say that only because I do not want to live by neither one of these political slogans: "Pro-life, Pro-choice".

I think it is fine to protest against abortion; however, I do not think that will change much until we stop those egocentric views, approaches, and judgments. I think protesters (pro-choicers and pro-lifers) should start communicating with women who consider abortion as their best option. They must not forget to sit with other women who carry their children to term only because they could not afford abortion or because they did not have a choice.

I overheard a man saying no to abortion only because his women are his property. To him their job is to have children and they cannot say no. Now, how many of us (men) are thinking, feeling, and treating women the same. Is it really about the unborn? If it is really about the unborn, let's really start talking about the needs of those millions abandoned, homeless children who wake up this morning hungry, thirsty, dirty, humiliated, sick, forgotten and who are going to bed tonight hungrier, thirstier, dirtier, more humiliated, more sick, more forgotten by the rest of the us. Can we start loving them? Thousands are aborted every year; millions are wishing they were not born. What do you think of that?

The pro-life message should not stop at a protest in front of an abortion clinic, a political rally, or at the polls. It should be about sharing a piece of bread, a cup of clean water, a home, a hospital bed, and hope with these millions needy children living right here, in the Great United States of America.

No comments: